Operational efficiency is increased through improved communication, availability of data for better coordination and the ability for the port and industry to work together.
Fremantle Ports invests in systems to improve the efficiency of supply chain activities in the port precinct with positive results. These award-winning initiatives include a congestion management system and a truck
As at many ports around the world, there is occasional congestion in the landside supply chain. The Congestion Management System (CMS) and 60-bay Truck Marshalling Area (TMA) at Rous Head are highly successful in managing any congestion, allowing container parks/terminals to call through vehicles in an orderly manner until congestion has dissipated.
- Logging into the CMS software activates a control program and a series of Variable Messaging Signs (VMS) throughout the port’s environs that ask drivers to divert to the purpose-built TMA.
- An Automated Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) camera captures truck details at TMA entry, linking to a ‘white list’ of previous entries to display port-related information on a cab-height check-in screen; driver confirms the entries and adds any additional information.
- After registration, driver parks vehicle in the TMA, maintaining a view of the TMA VMS or a monitor within the TMA truckstop (café and fueling facilities).
- Transport operators at their offices are also able to view a TMA truck cam, which provides regularly updated, multi-perspective views of the TMA.
- As congestion clears, vehicles are called
up onthe TMA VMS according to time slot, first-come first-served, with vehicles in a virtual queue.
- Trucks are removed from the TMA VMS automatically by an exit ANPR camera to ensure only valid, current call-ups remain on those screens.
- Arriving trucks are vetted at the site’s entrance, to prevent illegitimate arrivals and ensure fairness and system integrity.
- Finally, when the issue causing the vehicle diversion has been resolved, a ‘Cessation’ logic filters newly arriving vehicles with those exiting the TMA in
attemptto ensure queuing integrity.
See the Congestion Management System Operations Manual (for site users).
Heavy vehicle policies Collapse and expand this accordion
These two primary policies are applicable to all vehicles and tenants operating within the port precinct. They seek to promote and maintain safe and efficient management of vehicles, including heavy vehicles, and ensure consistent and equitable access and servicing of heavy vehicles through port-related operational sites.
Out-of-Gauge Guidelines Collapse and expand this accordion
Guidelines to assist operators in the movement of out-of-gauge loads/vehicles within the port precinct; exemptions for vehicles travelling within the port precinct which enable carriers to exceed certain height and width allowances, operate particular vehicles combinations, or operate during an extended range of times when transporting out-of-gauge loads.
More information: Main Roads Heavy Vehicle Access Planning on 138 HVO (138 486) or email@example.com
SOLAS VGM Handbook Collapse and expand this accordion
SOLAS (M)42) Verified Gross Mass weighing requirements have been in force since 2016. This handbook provides a description of requirements and tips for operators.
SOLAS (MO42) - possible process Collapse and expand this accordion
This quick, simple process is one possible means you could use to help comply with SOLAS (MO42).
Container Weight Verification Fact Sheet Collapse and expand this accordion
Information on SOLAS requirements for verified export container weighing
CoR/SOLAS app Collapse and expand this accordion
See the app here (https://www3.fremantleports.com.au/COR-Solas/) or download it.
North Quay Truck Survey Collapse and expand this accordion
Provides information on container truck volumes and loading at Fremantle Inner Harbour.
Truck Productivity Study Collapse and expand this accordion
Qualitative and quantitative data on operating patterns and factors influencing productivity and efficiency; aimed at developing an agreed approach with industry to improve road transport efficiency.
Find out how you can explore the port or get ferry and cruise info...